Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

I Hate Thanksgiving

I have never been one to like Thanksgiving. So hate me!

To me it is a lot of work for a meal. I think my hatred of all holidays goes back to the beginning of my childhood. My parents were the ones that hosted all of the family get togethers. Well I guess you could say they kinda did...

Let me give you a small peek in to make this story a little clearer. Okay... I was 7 years old when my mothers parents passed away. At the same time my fathers mother, was diagnosed with Parkinson disease.  So I had no fuzzy baking cookies with Grandma days. Not in this story.

So as Holidays go, My mom always boo- hoo'ed about the loss of her parents and how unfair life had treated her. Yeah, I got why she felt this way. I just didn't understand it as a child going through it. Everything is easier when you are looking back. Or should I say it is easier as you are raising your children and the picture seems clearer.

Why I was saying that I hate Thanksgiving, and have started to dislike holidays...

 It is a lot of work for food. But then again I was the youngest of the grandchildren so I was always stuck stirring, dicing chopping or plucking.  As my mom wanted everything prepared by herself. Yes...   You were told what time we were gonna eat. You better be there an hour ahead. Eat your share, take your share of the leftovers, in the bottomless cupboard of butter, sour cream and cottage cheese containers.

So there you have it... My reasons for hating Thanksgiving. Maybe if my parents were still alive and the younger generation is now old enough to be doing dishes. I might of learned to enjoy the holiday more. But unfortunately, I can honestly say that I really doubt it. I really feel that I would be standing in that kitchen. Chopping, dicing, slicing and I am almost positive I would be in there cleaning all of the dishes.

So hating a holiday makes me feel guilty. Guilty that I don't want to make a holiday about the past. I want to make it about my children now. But it is so hard to not reflect on the past. It is even harder to not let those reflections cloud the present. Many say it gets easier. At times I don't believe them. As I don't see it becoming easier. Yet, if I don't keep believing,  I will never know the answer. Without believing I will always have the answer, the answer that  I was to weak to look to the future.

Ali

1 comment:


  1.  Hi, Great post.  I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you. 

    ReplyDelete

Won't you let me know you have stopped by....
Please leave a comment!